Bio - 100 words - VISIBILITY

Structure, Structure, Structure

Posted by Louise Batts on April 18th 2019

As the Homeward Bound programme is now stepping up a notch, I thought I best do the same with the content of this blog and improve its structure for those reading it. Therefore, going forward any blog’s which directly relate to one of the 4 Core programme learning streams will include the key word in the title of the blog as follows;

• Leadership Development - LEADERSHIP
  • Science Collaboration - COLLABORATION
  • Personal Visibility - VISIBILITY
  • Strategic Capability - STRATEGY

Hopefully this will then make it easier for you (the reader) to follow the content and (given time) will see all the puzzle pieces fall into place – as I hope I do at the same time!

As always, I don’t own the content I am sharing, but is owned by Homeward Bound.

This month was a focus on Visibility, and March’s homework was to write a 100-word Bio using the following fundamentals;

• 1 - Goal
  • 2 - Audience
  • 3 - Message
  • 4 - Platform
  • 5 - Evaluation
  • Each 100-word bio should be individual, it’s easy to get caught into the idea you are writing one and then you don’t have to update it or look at it again until you’ve gained a new qualification role, but that’s incorrect. Each bio should be individual for the goal, audience and message. For example, I now have 3 bio’s in my bio library;

1 for my LinkedIn account (100% professional),

1 for a presentation at Reading University which was targeted at students and encouraging them to continue a career in engineering and not swap

1 for a secondary school presentation, targeted at a younger audience to be high level of engagement covering lots of engineering topics.

Details on the fundamentals;

1. GOAL

What are you trying to achieve in this short message? Providing clarity on this will help you understand where you are going.

2. AUDIENCE

Who is going to read this? What is their age – how does that change the vocabulary you use and the language? What is their knowledge around this topic you are covering? What do you want their outcome to be from this? What do you want them to take away?

3. MESSAGE

What kind of conversation will this message start? Think about how you plan to communicate potentially difficult conversations? What do you want to demonstrate competency in? Always relate this back to you, what you believe in? Keep the message positive.

4. PLATFORM

How are you best to get your message and goal across? What medium are you using? Social Media/Presentation/closed discussion etc? It could be more than one of these.

5. EVALUATION

Review the bio, gain some feedback from others – what does someone independent think about it? Does this need

The bio content is up to you, I’d recommend sharing it with a couple of people before publishing it. For example; this is my Bio for my LinkedIn profile:

Louise Batts, Engineer. MEng (Hons), MICE, IEng, MCIHT

Louise is a Highways Engineer, leading multi-million-pound highway construction schemes throughout the UK, with a passion for new and refurbishment of highway structures. Whilst leading teams, she emphasises the importance of creating an inclusive, honest and open environment on large projects. Louise has a proven track record of delivering safe projects, on time, and on budget whilst developing individuals in technical and management roles. Furthermore, she believes a career in engineering provides a positive challenge and is actively engaged in supporting increased awareness of various engineering careers to young individuals.

Back to Blog Homepage